Monday, November 3, 2008

Fire at ICBM silo rages undetected for 5 days

A fire at a Minuteman III ICBM silo in the USA raged undetected for 5 days. The fire was caused by a faulty battery charger in an equipment room and was only detected by repair crews later on. The USAF say there was only a minuscule chance of the missile as the fire did not reach the launch tube. If it had then the missile could have exploded which would have been rather unpleasant. Although the warhead itself would be unlikely to detonate it would likely be badly damaged and could have released radioactive material into the environment. Of concern to experts is the admission that duct tape is being used on cabling and other sloppy activity.

No comments: